Monday, November 30, 2009

Blog Envy

This can be a terrible, insidious condition. One moment you are enjoying another's witty words of wisdom...the next thing you know, you are consumed with feelings of inadequacy and frustration. How can you compete with this?

Take is easy. This isn't a high school popularity contest. Although, if it were the same advice would apply. Be yourself and people will like you. Everyone has their own style, their own voice, and something worthwhile to say.

The important thing to remember is, are you doing your best? That's all you can do.
I apologize for morphing into mommy voice.

Blog envy affects us all and until there is a vaccine created (that includes chocolate), we must deal with those feelings of not being worthy to compete with the awesomeness of others.

Blog on.

5 comments:

  1. I feel blog envy all the time. I mean ALL THE TIME. It's hard not to compare yourself to others when you're essentially doing the same thing.
    But in the end I can't write like other people (or be as pretty, witty, charming and lovable as all of them), so I just do what I can and say what I can and move on. Eventually the envy passes. At least until I open the next blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog envy, blog inadequacy, blog jealousy, it's all the same

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to do my best. Then I look at other blogs that have fancy looks and technical things that I don't understand how to do and wonder how they got to look so professional. Then there are the blogs that have 200 or even 1000 or more followers and I wonder how they get to that and how can I get there. And there are the blogs that post something and get a slew of readers leaving adulatory comments--I want that.
    So I just keep posting day after day and, like you say, hope I'm not talking to myself. I post what I like and what I think some other people may like and hope that someday I too may find this host of interested readers.
    Lee
    http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, just let me say that all of you are awesome! Some of these blogs that have a lot of followers have been at for years so don't give up! I think you are all great and funny. I feel priviledged that you stop by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I never actually blog on my blog, I've never suffered from blog envy. Perhaps that's the key:)

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.