Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hips Don't Lie

When Shakira came out with the song 'Hips Don't Lie', I and the rest of my family spent hours watching her video and trying to imitate her dance moves. It was not possible and usually resulted in us dissolving into breathless laughter.

The recurring question of what makes a good writer made me remember those futile attempts. As much as I would love to dance like Shakira, I know that I will never be able to. She possesses an innate rhythm that I do not. I became pretty good and had a lot of fun trying but I will never be the dancer she is. Her talent was the base that hard work and practice built upon.

I am not too devastated by this realization. Shakira will never be able to create the beautiful imagery of Hogwarts or inspire the sheer terror of a town populated by vampires. Her talents lie elsewhere and I am sure she is happy with that. We all have our own abilities. Hopefully, we are lucky enough to discover them and hone them with knowledge and hard work so we may one day realize our dreams.

So my answer to the question of what makes a writer is....the hips don't lie, people.

The hips don't lie.

7 comments:

  1. Dam! If it's all about hips I got some good sized ones going on here. I should have no problemo... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen-LOL, me too! I should have been able to do that without a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It comes down to how much is innate and how much needs to be practiced. Regardless of medium, I think any skill can be learned... for some, it might just take a lot longer than others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That song is the bomb-diggity. :) Guess I better get shaking ... cha-cha-cha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I could write like Shakira can wiggle those hips, I'd be James Patterson. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just knew all of you would like that Shakira song.LOL
    I don't think any of us that have been persistent with our writing and blogging is without talent. If it were just a passing phase or hobby, we would have moved on long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I tried to shake my hips like any singer I'd probably end up laughing at myself. But hey, if it means Chapter 4 of "Conjure A Man" rocks, then I'll "Shake, Shake, Shake, Shake your [my] booty" (KC & The Sunshine Band reference hee hee).

    Hope to see you Saturday at the NWHRWA meeting! :-)

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.