Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Lost in Your Head

I have a co-worker who has a habit of turning to someone and picking up a discussion mid-stream that apparently began in his head…several moments before. We tease him but it occurred to me that he has mastered the art of ‘in medias res’ without realizing it.

Which led me to muse on whether or not we are doing this within our story and completely unaware. I’m cleaning up the first draft of my current wip and noticing one or two scenes almost entirely without description, as if the reader can see my characters just as I do without any references to help guide them.

Not going to happen. You must set up the scene even if it’s only a few sentences. It doesn’t have to be at the beginning but at some point they need a clue to further ground themselves within your story.

Don’t leave them wondering or wandering, lost in your head without a map.




Sorry for screwing with my blog schedule…wait, did I have one? Sort of? I took a long weekend to write and celebrate a big birthday in my house. Did I miss anything?

5 comments:

  1. All of the characters in my novel are actually giant invisible talking heads, so I don't need any description. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few people who read my novel who got so lost we never heard from them again. Should have tied a string around them before they went in. :/

    Hope the birthday celebration was fabulous!! I'm guessing you'll never see your car again. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realized once I finished it that I didn't set up the scene for several parts of my last WIP; I'm going to have to go back and add a lot of description.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha... this was such a problem in my first novel it was ridiculous. The whole book was scene after scene of confusion.

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.