Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pleasing Punctuation

Punctuation.  The bane of my writing.

I tend to write like I speak so I'm a big fan of the dramatic pause...(ellipses).  It might appear unassuming...just lying there...but it serves it's purpose quite well.











I also like the exclamation point! It captures your attention like nothing else.
















But as my friends can tell you...I am not a fan of the comma.  It just dangles there, teasing me, and interrupting my flow.


















Do you have a favorite, overused punctuation mark?  Come on...share it!


I would like to add if there was a symbol that stood for elaborate hand gestures it would be my favorite.  I may have to invent this.  Like little jazz hands.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know what you're talking about!!!!!!!!

    I tend to enjoy the ellipses myself...they just add...drama!!!!!

    And now I'm brainstorming how to do jazz hands with the keyboard. . .

    * * <<that works, but it' kind of small, and jazz hands should never go unnoticed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I knew you would like the jazz hands. Just like you already knew about my comma aversion.haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. can I have the one in the middle? Please? It's just too damn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pics and the jazz hands idea! Super cute! I love punctuation -- especially the dash. The one I don't like is the semicolon. Annoying, unnecessary, and way overused by newbie writers.
    Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a personal fan of the interrobang, though I have yet to use it in writing. How can you not love a combo of an exclamation point and question mark‽

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once met an agent who said he hated the ellipses. If anyone used it to denote a pause, he said he just hated their writing and knew they weren't for him. "You can do the same thing with a comma!" he proclaimed. Needless to say... we didn't really "work out"...

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.