Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Learning Something New

I learn something new about writing every single day. Today I was perusing through a new blog that I found (Paperback Writer, completely awesome blog), and one of the writing tips was to make sure that you do not have too many character names that sound alike. Well, that is just silly. Of course I would not do that. I decided to make sure on the off chance that I might have missed something and I began to write a list of all the characters in one of my manuscripts that I am currently sending out.

I have no less than seven names that begin with the letter 'R'. How the hell did that happen? I have no idea. I think I might be subconsciously obsessed with that letter. Maybe my first clue would be that all the dogs I have had over the last twenty years had 'R' names. Ranger, Rogue, Ruger, Rebel. I have to correct it and pray that no one else notices.......

I write by the seat of my pants. That sounds funny. I become inspired by an idea and it flows out. I don't think about the names of a character, I see them in my mind and I pick a name that seems to fit. It might be a good idea to be more organized about that in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.