Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Beyond The First Draft

I have completed the first draft of my current manuscript. It was a little surprising because I was sure there was going to be a little more there at the end. But everything came together and suddenly...it was done.

So what's next?

I know that I mentioned before I would be putting it away for a while, to get a little distance and be able to edit it properly. I believe I need to work on a few revisions before I do that. I know, I know, now is not the time to rethink major plot choices. The main concern I have is clarifying the voice of my mc while it's still fresh in my mind. I don't think I hit my stride until almost halfway through and I want to make sure that, although she does change with the story, that the core personality is consistent.

In a few days it will be ready to put away for at least two weeks while I work on another project. This will give me a break and when I return to it, I will be able to clearly see any glaring mistakes or plot holes. At least that's the idea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.