Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday’s Take: Relation Vacation

The dreaded relation vacation…a.k.a. The Family Reunion.

It’s bad enough when it’s your own. Every suspicious person with a drop of blood from your ancestral line in a 500 mile radius shows up. People you forgot you ever met when you were still in diapers seem hurt that you can’t remember them.

When it’s your husband’s family…the stakes are raised. You don’t share blood with these crazies but the man you swore to love forever does. What choice do you have?

So you pack your purse with mace, a large bottle of Excedrin Migraine and off you go.

Picture Sweet Home Alabama V. Deliverance:

Versus

All right…all right. I am no Reese Witherspoon and my husband’s family aren't killer hillbillies but you get the idea.

I will be absent from the blogosphere for a few days. If you don’t hear from me by Tuesday of next week, or you receive an urgent email with the code phrase ‘Do you still hear the lambs, Clarisse?’ please notify the proper authorities.
Tell them I will be the only one wearing mascara and in full possession of all my teeth.

Relation Vacations are not always fun…sometimes they can be fraught with danger. Not the least of which are suffocating hugs, senseless conversations, and strange food.

That’s my take on it.
Warning: Do not attempt to make this much fun of your husband’s family unless you have been married a very, very long time.

6 comments:

  1. Best of luck!! I can't exactly relate, I'm not married, but I giggled through the post anyway. :) My own family reunions can get pretty crazy, but I share blood with all of them. You gotta love family. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Try to have some fun...=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha I HOPE YOU SURVIVE! in fact, i'm certain you'll have a blast :D

    we'll miss you!!

    <333

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!! Relation Vacation!Good luck!I know just what you mean.

    Miss you. Try to enjoy as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... are you like rummaging around in my brain right now or something?? Seriously? ;)

    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are times when I think I would enjoy being married, and then a married person says something to remind of some of the perks of singlehood. In-laws- SCARY! (Disclaimer: All my bfs' Mommies have really liked me.)

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.