Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Novelty Names


When I was a kid and read a book with a difficult character name…I would inevitably break it down, sound it out and try to decipher the correct pronunciation before continuing. Only to find out later, I was entirely wrong.

Now I don’t have the patience for it. My husband and I have an unspoken agreement that anyone’s name we cannot pronounce or we forget are automatically called Bob until such a time as it becomes important enough to actually learn it (such as marrying into the family, etc).

I use the same method when I read a novel. I’m all for the unusual and unique but please consider the reader before naming your main character a 14 letter mashup of the Latin phrase ‘to defeat evil with good’. It’s irritating and you will lose the reader before he’s had a chance to be captured by your awesome story.

As a side note, try not to have all your character names begin with the same letter either. Take it from me…until you make a list you might never realize your secret obsession with the letter R, for example.

Not that I would know.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading Lord of the Rings and *generally* don't have a problem, but every time he says "Ephel Dúath" (which happens a lot, since they are in Mordor now) I get hung up trying to decide which syllable gets the emphasis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's why you're always leaving comments on my blog that begin "Nice post, Bob."

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can't pronounce a character's name, it bugs me. If can hear my voice tripping over itself in my head every time I see the unpronounceable name, it's the most distracting thing ever!

    And for some reason, I have an obsession with character names that start with M. My last WIP was full of them! Morris, Marianne, Michael, Mae, Monroe, Matt... hmmm. Maybe that's why I come here, MARSHA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That character name with the same letter thing.. yeah. I confess. Guilty. :) If I'm writing contemporary, it's always J. TOO MANY Js!

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.