Monday, August 29, 2011

Blurring the Lines


I am many different things.

I am a professional in my day career.

I am a mother to 3 boys, two teenagers and a 3 yr old. In this capacity I serve as cook, maid, psychiatrist, physician, and social secretary.

I am a wife. See extra duties above under mother.

I am a writer.

Most of the time I can keep these facets of my life separated. I am a master at compartmentalizing. Maybe because if I didn’t it would only take a few days before becoming completely overwhelmed by the enormity of tasks facing me each day and I would run screaming through the streets.

But sometimes the lines blur.

Replying to emails from co-workers with an in depth critique of their grammar and plot weaknesses is not going to win me any popularity awards.

And asking my boss if he needs to potty before a meeting is just not acceptable.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! Try not to spit-wipe the boss's hair to get it to stay down either.

    And it's probably best if you don't ask hubs for a critique after, er, ...never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LG pretty much covered any loose ends on the work front. But have you mentioned to your kids that if they would like to meet, that they just check your Outlook calendar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I try to change anyone's diaper at work, it's time to lock me away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute post Marsha! The guys on the job could be babies at times, but I'm not changing diapers!!!

    I get overwhelmed easily. I think guys are made differently. (Ok, skip the obvious jokes.) Girls can multitask, guys do one thing at a time, then move on.

    :)

    ...usually, we do it better! (ducking)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're a superhero. 3 boys, and a husband, and a day job, and you write, too?

    I think I need a class on compartmentalization taught by you, because it's definitely not my strong suit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! I'm a stay-at-home mom, but I admit I'm curious to see how my work life would change now that I have a kid. I know my reading and writing have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, so true. I don't have kids, so I don't even dare to imagine the layers that adds onto a full-time job and being a writer. You must be a master at compartmentalising for sure! :-)

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.