Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Let's Play Tag


I've been tagged by the witty and brilliant Jennifer Burke. If you don't follow her, you should. She's funny, Australian, and slightly obsessed with possums. What isn't there to love?
The tag rule goes like this: Copy several paragraphs from your current manuscript with the word ‘look’ in it.

If you know me, then you know I don't like really like rules. I also will not subject you to several paragraphs of a very rough unfinished first draft. But I will give you two.


“I don’t know, Kelly.  Maybe he wouldn't expect you to get your dad but what if he knew you’d try to tell someone?  And he planned for it to look like you were just some crazy kid?”
 “What if I am just some crazy kid?”
 Hannah shook her head sadly and left without another word.
 I stood in the doorway of the living room and watched my dad comforting my mom by patting her on the back and whispering in her ear.  Every once in a while she would nod and sniff.  He was probably telling her with the right drugs and a little therapy I’d be good as new.  
I hoped he was right.

That's it. Now I'm tagging all of you. Leave a paragraph in the comments and don't tell me you don't have one because the word 'look' is almost as sneaky as the word 'that'. It crops up everywhere. Just look and see.

3 comments:

  1. With the right drugs and a lot of therapy a lot of us might be good as new. ha!

    Love that line. This is the new WiP? Awesome. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about how many 'looks' I have in my manuscript and couldn't think of one. After using the Word Search function, I discovered 213 of them. Here's one example.

    Agent Wu sat on a bench easily mixing with the Japanese onlookers and realized her partner stuck out like an FBI agent in a black suit on a warm day in the park. Her suspect walked directly towards her and eventually sat on an opposite bench. Their eyes met and Wu instinctively smiled. Her suspect smiled back. It wasn’t just a quick awkward nod, but a genuine gesture. Russo walked past them and continued until West Fourth Street where he waited and watched.

    You're on the edge of your seat, aren't ya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, just to get one thing straight: I am not obsessed with possums, I am BESIEGED by them! SEND HELP!

    I love your except here. I definitely want to know more about what is going on.

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.