Tuesday, November 27, 2012

True Love

A few days ago my husband and I were laughing over this movie trailer:


And how much it reminded us of...well, us.  Which got me to thinking about our relationship and just how much it's changed over the years.

Let's take the jealousy issue, and those of you with relationships anywhere near the 20 yr mark will get this.  

Stages of Jealousy
Insane Rage
Burning Anger
Moderate Displeasure
Mild Annoyance
Oh, God will someone please flirt with my husband so he will quit whining about losing his MoJo. (I miss saying MoJo)

But be careful what you wish for because just when you're at that last stage it might all flip on you.  You might exit the woman's bathroom at an afternoon matinee of Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince just in time to see a drunken female grinding on your man as two ushers attempt a very awkward rescue (true story).  The terror in your husband's eyes may be the only thing that saves him.  That and the face that you are torn between hysterical laughter, and a growing desire to find where above mentioned chickie obtained the alcohol.

I digress.  What I mean to say is, don't take each other for granted. True love is something you have to work at.

Sure, it's fun to daydream about a passion filled, whirlwind romance with Ian Somerhalder.


But can you imagine him looking at you across the dining room table as you sit, still in your pajamas at 4 in the afternoon, hair twisted up with one of the scrungies from your secret 80's stash, yesterday's makeup smeared down your face as you concentrate on finishing another chapter of your latest manuscript, and whispering, "God, you're so hot. Wanna fool around?"

I don't think so.

That is true love, peeps.  True Love.  Or last year's prescription eyeglasses and a double shot of NyQuil.

Whatever.

To the ups and downs and everything in between.  Love you, baby.



12 comments:

  1. Okay, that is true love, if your husband can get past all that and still find you hot. You're a lucky girl. :))

    And, wow, Ian does have the bluest eyes, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humans are so much wiser when they're older. Pity about their butts, but you can't have everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just pictured Ian saying those words to me. I need a cold shower now.

    Oh, did I miss the point of the blog post? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious. And so true. :) Very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I can't wait to find someone to fall in love with and get to that comfortable partnership stage - I'm just not too eager for the whole whirlwind romance at all. Maybe I'm weird. :D Anyway, well said! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post, it made me smile this morning. Oh, and of course, love Ian Somerhalder. He's on my list you know ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you Marsha, but I draw the line at flirting with hubby.

    On a serious note (insert Db tone), I think finding true love is a matter of persistence and luck. I'm thrilled for my friends that have achieved it, the real meaning of life, and I can relate to those that have either missed it, or lost it. Surviving is another reason for life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh* Ian Somerhalder is way too hot for his own good. No one should be that swoonworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post!

    I'm with Bethany: can we just skip straight to the pyjamas stage, please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Sure, it's fun to daydream about a passion filled, whirlwind romance with Ian Somerhalder."

    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks about this. And here I thought I was just being "weird" and "homosexual." What a relief.

    A double shot of NyQuil? Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Plus, that dude probably couldn't flip a pancake to save his life. He probably has a pancake valet.

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.