Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday Must: Aim High

Having high expectations is not a fault. Without them we would never reach farther, strive harder, or achieve to our full potential.

As I sit in a darkened office surrounded by a mound of snake-like extension cords, I tell myself that expecting my day job to have electricity on a Monday is not aiming too high. But then I did not account for the weekend vandalism that resulted in cut power lines and stolen cables.

My boss expects us to continue doing our job regardless of the circumstances we find ourselves in, with a minimum of whining. I have to admit to a sneaking admiration for his stubbornness at not giving up and calling it a day as I head to the bathroom with a flashlight.

We could all take a lesson from this. Aiming high is admirable, falling short can be unavoidable, but how we handle it is completely up to us.

BTW, peeing in the dark is not as easy as it sounds.

6 comments:

  1. LOL! OH MY GOD. I AM SO SORRY! Major suckage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thought. How we handle our circumstances and challenges really makes or breaks us.

    LOL! Oh I hate peeing in the dark almost as much as I hate peeing in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CAN'T pee in the dark except in my own house or apartment. If a public restroom is poorly (or not) lit, I will hold my pee until I find one that is lit, or get home. Or find a nice secluded area of woods where I can pop a squat. Because even the woods are better than not being able to see how clean or filthy the restroom is.

    Yeah, I'm a little weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ick. I work for the State, where we have such a thing as "uninhabitable building conditions." If our building is found to be uninhabitable, we are allowed a day off. It takes a lot to be deemed uninhabitable...in fact, the only time I've seen it happen is recently, when a burst pipe flooded part of the building and it was dangerous for us to be there. We've worked in 90 degree temps and 40 degree temps. They just expect us to suck it up and go on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your the second person this week who offered a commentary on peeing in the dark. Lord, are you trying to tell me something? lol! And you are 100% correct! Attitude is everything. =) But I still like a good ole fashioned pity party now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally giggling at the BTW.

    So much of life is about how you react, and not what evil thing happened to you.

    ReplyDelete

It helps to know I'm not just talking to myself.